Travel Guide – Cheese Country Scenic Drives
Southwest Wisconsin has a unique landscape, named the Driftless Area, formed by the geological Ice Age (Wisconsin Glaciation) where the ice mass passed around this area without grinding down the terrain as it did in the north and eastern part of the state. Being spared the bulldozer effect of the ice sheet and the melt-water of the receding glaciers created this interesting landscape of steep hills, rock outcroppings, fertile valleys, numerous creeks and rivers, and hardwood forests. Rarely do roads in the Driftless Area run North & South or East & West; straight line pathways are difficult in such a varied terrain.
Perhaps because of this unique landscape of miniature mountains and fertile valleys with lots of creeks, streams, and rivers, the area attracted a number of immigrants from Switzerland and they brought with them their cheese making heritage. So world-class cheese are among the gourmet delights of touring this scenic landscape. The geology of the area, the discovery of lead and zinc deposits, also brought other ethnic immigration including those from Cornwell, England. Many of the small towns and villages retain their historic cultural ties to their European roots and their restaurants, shops, and annual events reflect this heritage.
Below is a list of all the travel articles we’ve posted on interesting places and things to see and do in the communities in Wisconsin’s Cheese Country. Below that is our Google Map and Link identifying travel routes and point of interest along these routes.
Cheese Country Article Directory
- Cheese Country Scenic Drive, Part 1
– Scenic Drive from Mineral Point, to Cuba City, to Shullsburg, Wisconsin
- Visitor Guide, Mineral Point, Wisconsin
- Visitor Guide, Shullsberg, Wisconsin
- Gravity Hill – Shullsburg’s Mysterious Phenomenon
- Cheese Country Scenic Drive, Part 2
– Monroe to New Glarus, Wisconsin
- Visitor Guide Monroe, Wisconsin
- Visitor Guide New Glarus, Wisconsin
- Cheese Country Fall Color Drive
– Mount Horeb to Monroe, Wisconsin
- Visitor Guide Toy Train Barn, Argyle, WI
Cheese Country Scenic Drives Mapby